Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Laughing in the kitchen...

Leyla is going to be 19 months old in two days but sometimes I truly feel that she could very well be turning 19 YEARS old. There are moments when she'll give me a "look" and her expression/reaction is that of a person well beyond her actual age. The other day, Leyla and I were in the kitchen when I couldn't {for the life of me} snap shut a glass tupperware container. Now, before you make fun, these things are heavy duty. You literally have to use every ounce of strength to get them to snap shut. After a long struggle, I looked at Leyla, gave her an exasperated look and let out a loud, dramatic {SIGH}. This was the series of events that followed: she tried {unsuccessfully} to look sympathetic, attempted to hold in a laugh, then started CRACKING UP at me. Yes, blog readers... my 19 month old daughter was mocking me. Then there was the snowball effect... her laughing made me laugh which made her laugh harder. As our laughter died down, Leyla ran off in search of another person to tease (probably Mr. Teddy) and I sat there for a second. I felt as though I'd caught a glimpse of us years from now... sharing a moment in the kitchen. My mom and I have so many great memories in the kitchen. Although I grumbled as we kneaded dough, whined as we filled mandoo (dumplings), though I cringed when she asked me to mix kimchee with her... thinking back, I LOVED every minute. My mom's one of the most soft-spoken people I know... so most of those moments in the kitchen were filled with a {comfortable} silence. We worked quietly together but it was a {good} quiet. Every once in a while... the silence would break and we'd laugh about something together... and those moments... THOSE were the best moments of all.   


HAPPY TUESDAY!

1 comment:

  1. awww...this story kind of brought a tear to my eye...it brought back memories for me too...hold onto those moments will Leyla...I know there will be many more...but cherish each one...this picture is adorable!

    ReplyDelete