Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Not older, but newer...

We turn not older with years, but newer every day.
- Emily Dickinson

I like this quote... I'm not getting older... just newer every day! Every new experience, every little moment changes us. Shapes us. It makes me realize how important it is to be surrounded by good, positive things.... and this is how we age {gracefully}. How do I feel about turning 33? Hmmm, it's easier than turning 30, that's FOR SURE! I have to say, though... the 30s have proved to be a great time in my life... my early 20s were filled with much uncertainty, soul-searching, and the ever-so-popular "finding myself". My 30s have blossomed into a period in my life where I feel more secure, settled, and excited for the road ahead. You can't ask for much more than that!

Do you know what else makes turning 33 much less daunting? Birthday celebrations BEFORE, DURING, & AFTER my actual birthday! YAY! This weekend was full of pre-33 festivities! My friend, Mon {who lives just blocks away from the beach} invited me out for a 3-mile walk and brunch to kick-off my birthday a week early. There's something so therapeutic about the salty ocean air and sunshine... it's addicting, really. What made it really special was that it was Leyla's first time to the beach... she just soaked it all in! As we walked along the boardwalk, Leyla pointed out the ocean, birds, dogs, bikes and even porta-potties! Haha! It was amazing to watch her process all of the new things she saw that day.

checking out the pier and waves...

Last night, Mike's mom invited us over for dinner {and some Super Bowl watching, of course}. After dinner, I looked up from playing with Leyla to see candles lit on top of a mouthwatering confection. Little did I know that they had planned to surprise me with a beautiful birthday cake complete with singing first in English and then in Farsi! Woo hoo! I felt doubly blessed. We had a great night of delicious homemade Persian food, catching up with some of Mike's family who we don't get to see very often, and of course birthday cake. It was a wonderful night... along with the fact that "my" team won the Super Bowl! OH YES! Haha!

{mike did good... one of my fav cakes... red velvet!}

{mike.jane.leyla}
{leyla playing with her cousins...}
{time to cut the cake!}

{leyla trying to make a quick escape... time to go home!}
Wishing I could fast forward to next weekend for more celebrating and of course, more {CAKE}. Mike & I have both been watching what we're eating so the yummy desserts that come along with my birthday literally make life so much sweeter! Ha! Happy Monday... and make it a great week, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. nice cake! where's it from? am i wrong or do i see... animal print on the candles??

    love the shot of leyla trying to bust out of joint! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia! Yup... animal print, indeed! =)I never did ask him if he picked those himself??? =D

    ReplyDelete