A memoir... of a girl and her favorite shoes... {HAHA!} In elementary school, they were my jelly shoes... Do you remember those? I swear they would break like 5 minutes after wearing them. I wore them with neon shirts and those plastic ring thingees that cinched it up on one side. Hey, it was the 80's after all! In Jr. High... My Vans sneakers worn with a Contempo Casuals reversible zip-up cotton jacket. Oh, and picture me with a perm... we're talkin' full on curly-cues. I revisited the dreaded perm again years later in High School. Why, you ask? I wanted Mariah Carey hair, DUH! {BAHAHA!} In High School, I went through a few favorite pairs but most notably, they were my yellow construction boots worn with baggy jeans, a striped t-shirt, and a flannel around my waist {from Millers Outpost, of course}. Much to my mom's relief, my baggy jeans phase was short-lived... I'm convinced that my brown lip-liner still gives her nightmares. Then came my Mary-Janes phase... worn with pleated skirts. These days... on my dream shoe list: the drool-inducing high-heel with the red bottom. Oh, girls... You know the one. {WINK}
At this point, I'm feeling a little bad for the guys reading this blog entry. In fact, I commend you for making it to this point! Sorry. I feel like I should throw in a, "What's up with the Laker's these days?" {HA!}
Every morning, I ask Leyla which pair of shoes she wants to wear. I bring out a couple pairs for her to choose from. Mike always jokes that I treat Leyla like my little dress-up doll... so giving her that choice seems to make her feel pretty independent. Ever since we got her her first pair of non-velcro, big-girl/lace-up pink Converse sneakers, she won't wear anything else. This morning, I brought out those shoes along with an uber-cute lavender pair. I said, "OK, Leyla... which ones?" Of course I already knew what her answer would be... there wasn't even a moment of hesitation. She pushed the lavender ones away with a big, emphatic, "NO". "Well, then... pink Converse it is", I mumbled under my breath while shaking my head. There's definitely no getting between a girl and her shoes.
It's Thursday... We're almost there! Have a great day, all!
PUAHAHAHA, i wonder where she gets her love of shoes from??? oh man, i remember jellies! and i also remember trying my hardest to get a rock out from one of those chambers in the "heel". i had like 20 pairs of jellies *shaking head*
ReplyDeletefunny you should mention the "red sole" shoe... He's suing YSL for copying his trademark - i read about it in WWD. my dream pair are a toss up between black patent or tan patent peep toe hidden platform. *sigh*
i hope leyla gets her own shoe closet! =P
my mom refused to buy me a pair of Timberlands - mainly b/c i couldn't think of a good enough excuse to have them... but my sister DID get my pair of Dr. Martens. in HS it was all about the frankenstein platform shoes for me - needed all the extra height i could get!
ReplyDeleteHaha! Mike cracked up when he read your comment about your collection of jellies. =) Oh my gosh... I REALLY wanted a pair of Doc Martens too... my parents wouldn't get them for me though! I went through the frankenstein platform stage too. My dad would always shake his head and say that I looked like a cartoon in those shoes. =D
ReplyDelete