Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Chores = Fun ? ? ?

I've learned that one of the biggest roles I can play as a parent is to help instill a sense of personal responsibility in Leyla. A toddler loves routine and is constantly seeking ways to find their place in the family. So, Leyla is always eager... even enthusiastic when it comes to helping me around the house. Now, some days it requires superhuman patience when she wants to "help" because it takes twice as long to complete the task... or in helping, she actually creates more work for me {Ha Ha!}. Like folding the laundry... I have to wait for her to "fold" them for me and set them in a pile. I then thank her profusely and proceed to refold. {SIGH}  It really is worth it though because, ultimately, I am setting a good foundation AND helping her have more confidence in herself every day.

So, what is her absolute favorite chore, you ask? Setting the table... hooray! One of my LEAST favorite chores growing up. Only because setting the table for a Korean dinner requires bringing out a billion little side dishes from the kitchen. {Ha!} Watching her set the table always cracks me up because she gets ridiculously excited. I mean, the open-mouthed smile on her face as she places napkins on the table? You would think that I just brought home a puppy for her or something. Leyla SPRINTS back and forth from the kitchen to the table and actually gets sad when there is nothing left to set. Hmmm, now that I'm thinking about it, I should really keep this particular blog entry in mind for the future. You know, for when she's 16 years old, full of attitude and doesn't want anything to do with chores. {WINK}

Here is my little helper setting the table...

 



 

Mission Accomplished! Smiles all around...

HAPPY FRIDAY!!! I hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. hehehe, my pastor's kid likes to "help" by sweeping the floor - basically moves the dust from one end to the other...

    you know, since leyla LOVES to set the table empty plastic banchan dishes might just be the thing to keep up the excitement... =P

    ReplyDelete