This particular month of the year is always full of activity... My brother-in-law and mother-in-law's birthdays, Persian New Year, oh and we can't forget my brackets... NCAA March Madness time... {Ha Ha!}
I love and appreciate my family's multicultural dynamic... Leyla will grow up with a diverse background full of many different traditions. On Sunday we'll celebrate Persian New Year, or "Norooz". Before I met Mike, I knew very little about the Iranian culture... So, in case you're curious, here is what I've learned about Persian New Year.
I love and appreciate my family's multicultural dynamic... Leyla will grow up with a diverse background full of many different traditions. On Sunday we'll celebrate Persian New Year, or "Norooz". Before I met Mike, I knew very little about the Iranian culture... So, in case you're curious, here is what I've learned about Persian New Year.
Observed on the first day of spring, it celebrates the rebirth of nature... a time of joy and family celebration. It is shared by people of many faiths in countries that trace their histories back through the centuries to the ancient Mesopotamian civilization and Persian Empire. Norooz is deeply rooted in Zoroastrian traditions {The religion of ancient Persia before the advent of Islam in 7th century A.D.}.
Mike's mother sets out a traditional "Sofreh-e Haft Seen"... a table set with 7 dishes which represent rebirth, health, happiness, prosperity, joy, patience, and beauty.

The celebrations continue until the 13th day after the New Year, or "Sizdah Bedar". Being that the number 13 is considered unlucky, that day is traditionally spent outdoors and in nature {to bring good luck} and parks are filled with families. Young girls tie blades of grass in knots on this day to wish for a good husband. ;)
The world really is getting smaller and smaller. I hope that we can learn to appreciate our diversity and strive to find good in all people... Like they say, diversity is the one thing we all have in common...
Here are some photos from Persian New Year last year... Leyla was about 10 months old... what a cutie-patootie she was...
| My mother-in-law's beautiful Haft Seen |
| Mike.Leyla.Jane... Notice the college bball on TV? {Ha!} |
| Morgan.Marla.Mary.Sam.Leyla |
| Cassaundra.Eric.Morgan |
Happy Friday... WEEKEND HERE WE COME! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment