Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Racing the sun...

Ever since the time change happened, I find myself really anxious to get home. The extra hour of sunlight is just what I need to "thaw out" and warm my soul. As Leyla and I drove home on Monday, I found myself enjoying the {usually unappreciated} scenic drive... Cloaked in the early evening shadows, my drive home usually consisted of me thinking about mishaps from the workday or contemplating dinner. Monday's drive couldn't have been more the opposite. I couldn't take my eyes off of the beautiful, soon-to-be-setting sunlight peeking through the trees and the green grass... I immediately made a plan of action: Get home, grab my new camera, take Leyla out for a walk around our block, and capture some of that soft dreamy sunlight. I asked Leyla if that all sounded good... I glanced back at her through my rear-view mirror. She seemed pretty stoked... judging from her legs kicking up in the air and the smile on her face, anyway.

From the moment I parked in our garage, I turned into Tornado Jane. It was a race... us against the sun. I kicked off my heels, changed into more appropriate walking gear, and grabbed my camera. As we ran out the door she pointed at my camera strapped around my neck and said, "Mama's" with a smile... I wonder if she'll still smile when she's older and I'm still sticking that darn thing in her face all the time? {Ha ha!!!} As we made our way around the block, Leyla had a blast. We didn't even take the stroller out... it was just me, my girl and my camera. The Vitamin D, the therapeutic nature of taking pictures, and spending time with Leyla were just what I needed after a long work day.

Now, I had the same plans for last night... but there was horrible traffic on the 55 freeway. I picked Leyla up much later than usual. I looked longingly at the sun as we jammed home... Wishing. Praying that it would just wait a LITTLE longer for me. As we all know, the sun waits for no {wo}man. Thankfully, there was still some beautiful light out by the time I got Leyla's bike out... I can tell that Leyla likes the time change just as much as I do. So much so that tonight, we'll race the sun again...

Here are a couple of pictures from last night...



HAPPY WEDNESDAY!

One of Leyla's favorite songs is about the sun... it goes like this:

Oh Mister Sun, Sun,
Mister Golden Sun,
Hiding behind a tree...

These little children
Are asking you
To please come out
So we can play with you

Oh Mister Sun, Sun,
Mister Golden Sun,
Please shine down on me!

2 comments: