Moms aren't allowed to get sick. They just aren't. I found myself doubled over in pain early Sunday morning... I must have caught that stomach bug that's been going around Leyla's school. I'm feeling much better today but this time yesterday, I was dragging myself out of bed so that Mike, Leyla and I could go for a little drive and get some fresh air {Leyla was going stir-crazy being cooped up in the house while Mike took care of me}. Leyla kept asking for me to pick her up and play throughout the day but I had to tell her "No, mama has a boo-boo in her tummy". She would gently put her chubby little hand on my stomach with a concerned look on her face. What a sweetheart she is...
As I laid in bed yesterday, I couldn't help but think of my mom and all of the sacrifices she made for me... including her own health. My mom developed gestational hypertension while pregnant with me. She had a really tough pregnancy which resulted in an emergency C-Section in February of 1978... I wasn't actually due until April. Just thinking about how my dad must have felt while the doctor explained to him that there was a very high likelihood of either my mom, myself, or even both of us not making it makes my head spin. I understand the gravity of the situation even more now that I'm a mother. One of the kind nurses at Glendale Hospital offered to say a prayer with them... and from what they tell me, that's when they started to have faith in something... or someONE much bigger than us all. So as my dad paced the hospital floor and tried to watch a boxing match on TV, I was born. All 3 pounds, 2 ounces of me... half blue due to lack of oxygen. My mom, one of the strongest women I know, made it as well. My dad said that I literally grew leaps and bounds from day to day... almost to the point where he didn't recognize me from one visit to the next. Several years later, my mom really wanted for me to have a sibling. After being warned by her doctor that the same could happen again, she was insistent... she said that she didn't want me to be lonely. So, my brother was born in 1983... also a premie... but healthy. She amazes me.
My mom... she ran several half marathons and one full marathon in her fifties... she hikes up mountains, rain or shine. In a tiny but strong package, she takes care of us all... with a quiet and determined perseverance. When I was little, I used to try on her size 4 1/2 {Yes, you read that right... TINY!} shoes in her closet... Though I've since passed her up in height and shoe size, I realize that it would take so much. SO much for me to ever fill her shoes. I look to her as to what a mother should be.
Here are a few pictures that I took of Leyla yesterday... Obviously I wasn't feeling very well but being outside and snapping a few photos made me feel a lot better. We've been looking for a location for Leyla's 2nd birthday party and I think we may of found the perfect park. Leyla really enjoyed running around through the rose bushes...
 |
| See her new pink Converse sneakers? She is obsessed w/ them & even wanted to wear them in bed! |
 |
| This rose smelled as pretty as it looked... |
HAPPY MONDAY!
Everyday is Mother's Day ;) Another great post, Jane!
ReplyDeleteThat's right! =) Thanks, Ken!
ReplyDeleteaww~ you should show your mom this post! that doesn't look like a park - it looks like a garden~ are you gonna have those jumper things to occupy the kids? have you thought of theme for her party?? i can google ideas for you - it'll be a tradition. HAHAHAHA =)
ReplyDeleteHi Lydia! My parents are @ a church retreat this week but I'll definitely tell them to read this when they come back. It's funny... maybe it's an asian thing but I have a much easier time writing out my feelings to them rather than verbalizing. ;)I've gone through a few themes in my head... Dr. Seuss, Sweet Shoppe, Cupcakes? So many choices... Oooh! If you come up w/ some cute ideas, please let me know! What you found last year was a lifesaver. =) The kiddos might be too small for a jumper so I plan on bringing some tunnels, tents, toys & bubbles. =) I know, it's a garden... but it's too pretty to pass up! Speaking strictly from a photo-op perspective! Haha!
ReplyDeletei saw this REALLY CUTE "It's a Small World" themed party - but that's some serious crafting dedication... (invitations, cupcake toppers, wall decorations, gift bag decorations & i think a bunting banner thing...)
ReplyDeletewhat's leyla into lately? dora? what about pororo?? (i know, super korean but they're so cute!) are you gonna go super-girly? i shall put my google & blog search skills to the test! hehehehe
GASP! Oh my gosh... Small World sounds like a super cute theme! PLUS that was her fav ride at Disneyland... I was going to go for a Dr. Seuss theme but this sounds even cuter!!!
ReplyDeleteLeyla is definitely into Dora lately but for some reason I'm reluctant to use it as her party theme. Maybe I'm overloaded with Dora!!! HAHA!
Awww, Poporo is definitely cute... and not TOO girly... Unfortunately she's not familiar with him yet. I used to hang a little Poporo stuffed animal on the rear-view mirror of my Honda. How Korean was I? HAHAHA!