Children have no filter. As adults, we find ourselves {for the most part, anyway} trying to tone down our emotions. If we're disappointed in something, we make it seem like we're not that upset. If we're happy about something, we don't {generally} jump for joy. I mean, can you imagine if I showed my barista at Starbuck's just how happy I am when they hand me my sugar-free vanilla soy latte? Rather than a thank you and a smile, I'd be giving them a big bear-hug behind the counter and encouraging them to join me in a happy dance. Seriously. Leyla, on the other hand, has no qualms about showing the world how she really feels. Observing her go through her range of emotions is quite exhausting, really! =) She can literally go from totally happy, to totally brokenhearted, and back to happy again in a matter of seconds. Just like that!
Leyla and her dogs. They are becoming best buds before our very eyes. They don't get to stay indoors anymore... although I've been allowing them to come in and hang in our kitchen from time to time. Leyla LOVES it. The two dogs have such distinct personalities. Maui, {our black & white Mini Aussie Shepherd} is pretty aggressive. She'll push Stella, {our Corgi} out of her way just to get to Leyla first. Stella is really obedient. She'll patiently wait until the end of time until she gets the OK to take one step into our kitchen. Then she'll lick Leyla to death. They've become pretty competitive for Leyla's attention. The other day Miss L. brought her beloved Aqua Doodle into the kitchen, plopped on the floor, and asked to say "Hi, goggies" {ha ha, yes that's doggies with a "g"}. When I opened the door, Maui was of course the first to come in and stake her claim right next to Leyla.
 |
| Leyla then called Stella over to come in. Maui's thinking, "NO!" |
 |
| Leyla and her "goggies"... |
 |
| Soon it was time to let them go back outside... |
 |
| Oh, the HEARTBREAK! I asked Leyla if she'd like to watch some Dora while we got dinner ready... |
 |
| She was happily on the couch in an instant... |
 |
| "Dora! Boots!" |
 |
| Happy once again... |
She's really testing her limits and exploring her independence these days. Mike says that she's really attached to me {more than him} lately because I'm more lenient with her. Hmmm, maybe he's {partially} right. I think that it's that AND the fact that I'm the mama! That's reason enough, right? {WINK} When I hear myself bargaining with her to, "Please listen" it makes me want to roll my eyes. At myself. {HA HA!} I've got to learn to just pick her up if she doesn't listen... crying fit and all... just to make my point. Besides, the crying will be over in a matter of moments... and if I'm lucky I'll get a big, hearty, crinkly-eyed, {unfiltered} laugh out of her in no time.
HAPPY THURSDAY!
wow, willing to trade the furry friends for some mindless tv - sounds like me! hahahahahaha~
ReplyDeletehow's the binky weaning going? hang in there mom!
i end up watching my pastor's 3 1/2 y.o. son a lot so i discipline him when his mom's not around (otherwise he'd be running around like a tasmanian devil, plus he has a stubborn streak, and he's the only baby/toddler @ church so you can imagine how much attention he gets). at first i used to just pick him up & take him to his mom to get disciplined but she taught him that he has to listen to me when the parents aren't around... plus i've learned how to get through to him a bit more effectively.
i'm quite content to be the unni/noona/eemo though. =P
Bahaha Lydia! -SIGH... the binky. She's pretty much fine during the day without it... the bedtime binky is still very much a part of her nighttime routine.
ReplyDeleteA 3 1/2 year old boy sounds like a lot to handle... especially if he's used to being the center of attention! =) Sounds to me that you've got him figured out and you're doing a great job. Good practice for later! {WINK}